Why you gotta be so rude? Episode twenty-nine is gonna marry her anyway! On the twenty-ninth Box Angeles comedian Matt Besser (Parks and Recreation, Reno 911!) stops by Studio 309. He discusses how he thinks people should gain life experience before entering comedy, being the class clown in high school, working at Dick’s Last Resort, how a lot of improv has become ‘corny’ and more!
The BA #029 Breakdown —
– Box hackily rants # of hot dogs v. # of hot dog buns.
– Rituals and getting inspired through life experiences.
– Growing up in Arkansas and being the class clown.
– Attending Amherst College and pretentious theatre classes.
– Starting out in stand-up and shortly living in Denver before Chicago.
– Working as a substitute teacher, as a host at Dick’s Last Resort and other odd jobs.
– Stumbling into improv and training under Del Close w/ ‘The Family’.
– Taking Upright Citizens Brigade to NYC to be on Comedy Central and getting a manager.
– Creating the UCB Theatre and explaining their cool factor.
– A depressing move to Los Angeles and being turned away from an open-mic.
– Favorite part of LA and UCB’s churning out of talent.
– Matt describes what he does in three words and gives his logline.
– Matt discusses who he enjoys to watch and who he’d like to work with.
– Matt’s favorite thing he has done and how he defines success.
– Closing line / sign-off.
Guest Beer — None
Mike ‘Box’ Elder is an aspiring actor. He thinks the classic number of hot dogs and number of buns conundrum is the worst. Follow him on Twitter @mikeboxelder.