Baby, episode thirty-nine just gonna shake, shake, shake, shake, shake. It shakes it off, it shakes it off! On the thirty-ninth Box Angeles Emmy nominated writer / improviser Charlie Sanders (Brooklyn Nine-Nine, Death Valley) stops by Studio 309. He discusses doing theater and improv at Central High School in Saint Paul, working at a video store in NYC, how he became a writer for Key & Peele and more!
The BA #039 Breakdown —
– Box rants the need for organization of bar drink orders.
– Drinking and rituals.
– Growing up in Saint Paul, MN and starting out in the theater.
– Attending Central High School and getting into ComedySportz after graduation.
– Working sound at an alt show at Bryant Lake Bowl and briefly attending the University of Minnesota.
– Moving to NYC, working at a video store and discovering UCB.
– Taking classes, interning and performing w/ Chicago City Limits.
– Doing sketches on Late Night w/ Conan O’Brien and avoiding the union dues.
– Moving to Los Angeles and buying a Ford Focus.
– Getting cast in Death Valley and landing the writing job with Key & Peele.
– Charlie describes what he does in three words and gives his logline.
– Charlie discusses who he enjoys to watch and who he’d like to work with.
– Charlie’s favorite thing he has done, favorite part of LA and how he defines success.
– Choose your own adventure sign-off.
Guest Beer — Green Flash Brewing, Palate Wrecker
Mike ‘Box’ Elder is an aspiring actor. He thinks bars need to work on their queues. Follow him on Twitter @mikeboxelder.