Don’t tell ’em, don’t tell ’em, episode forty-four ain’t even, ain’t even gotta tell ’em! On the forty-fourth Box Angeles improviser Sean Monahan (The Crazy Ones, MADtv) stops by Studio 309. He discusses how being on the high school speech team led to improv, his depressing time spent opening mail for Oprah, the two times he moved to Los Angeles and more!
The BA #044 Breakdown —
– Box rants Best Buy blue shirts, sort of.
– Drinking and child-centric rituals and allergies.
– Growing up in Morganville NJ and having a much older brother / much younger sister.
– Being undersized and a hyperactive nerd.
– Speech team’s impromptu speaking and attending the College of William & Mary.
– Joining improv on a dare (from the future Misses) and moving to LA immediately after graduation.
– Trying to gain a footing, working odd jobs and managing a long distance relationship.
– Moving to Chicago and learning from some of the best – like Craig Cackowski – at iO and Second City.
– Opening mail for Oprah’s Harpo Studios and falling into Mission Improvable.
– Doing improv on the road and getting married.
– LA 2.0 and the MTV pilot that never came to be.
– Founding Westside Comedy and managing Westside Corporate.
– Sean describes what he does in three words and gives his logline.
– Sean discusses who he enjoys to watch and who he’d like to work with.
– Sean’s favorite thing he has done and how he defines success.
– Choose your own adventure sign-off.
Guest Beer — Drake’s, Blonde Kolsch-Style Ale
Mike ‘Box’ Elder is an aspiring actor. He hates when people publicly call for someone’s job. Follow him on Twitter @mikeboxelder.