You say episode fifty-nine is crazy, ’cause you don’t think it knows what you’ve done, but when you call it baby, it knows it’s not the only one! On the fifty-ninth Box Angeles actor / improviser Chris Alvarado (Comedy Bang! Bang!, Jimmy Kimmel Live!) stops by Studio 309. He discusses his difficult childhood, finding short form improv in high school, not getting the success he expected in Chicago, how he learned to be himself, and more!
The BA #059 Breakdown —
– Box rants light bulbs and their colors.
– Drinking and rituals.
– Growing up in the tough area of Downey, CA and bouncing between divorced parents.
– Having street smarts and stealing things with Mom.
– Being a good kid amongst the bad and being a cooky raver in high school.
– Doing short form improv in high school and attending Cerritos College.
– Taking advice to move to Chicago and some folks lending their apartment in Lake Point Tower.
– Working at Chef’s Catalog, starting classes at Second City and not finding the success expected.
– Moving back home with Dad and working construction for a church.
– Starting at iO West, doing the Second City boats in Hawaii and beginning a relationship w/ Lauren Lapkus.
– Learning to be yourself and getting a manager / agent from the web series 7p10e.
– The dream, odd jobs and favorite stage.
The BAQ —
– Chris describes what he does in three words and gives his logline.
– Chris answers why Hollywood and his favorite thing about LA.
– Chris discusses who he enjoys to watch and who he’d like to work with.
– Chris’s favorite thing he has done and how he defines success.
– Choose your own adventure sign-off.
Guest Beer — Lagunitas, Censored Rich Copper Ale
An aspiring actor, Mike ‘Box’ Elder hates that you can’t test light bulb colors at the store. Follow him on Twitter @mikeboxelder.