Episode sixty-three knows you lie, ’cause your lips are moving! On the sixty-third Box Angeles writer / actor Hal Rudnick (Key & Peele, Reno 911!) stops by Studio 309. He discusses getting elected student counsel president in high school as a result of a comedy campaign, how his father gambled away all their money, how baseball – and the Minnesota Twins – saved his life, what Matt Besser told him when he took a special UCB class, and more!
The BA #063 Breakdown —
– Box rants different color light bulbs, again. And shower heads.
– Drinking and coffee and rituals.
– Growing up in Allendale New Jersey and having a dad who gambled, a lot.
– Having five older half siblings and being a nerdy, awkward kid.
– Getting elected student counsel president through a comedy routine and creating change.
– Doing stand up as a youth and quitting football to do theatre.
– Attending Penn State for sports journalism and switching majors to film / theatre.
– Finding improv in college and moving to Los Angeles.
– Diving into LA Connection / Groundlings and taking a special 401 at UCB w/ Matt Besser.
– Being a Harold & Maude veteran and the Midnight Show.
– Hosting Screen Junkies and experience on Reno 911!
– Choosing to get laid off from a good paying job and still hoping for that next level of success.
The BAQ —
– Hal describes what he does in three words and gives his logline.
– Hal answers why Hollywood and his favorite thing about LA.
– Hal discusses who he enjoys to watch and who he’d like to work with.
– Hal’s favorite thing he has done and how he defines success.
– Choose your own adventure sign-off.
Guest Beer — Ballast Point, Big Eye IPA
An aspiring actor, Mike ‘Box’ Elder is anal about his light bulb colors. Follow him on Twitter @mikeboxelder.