Cause episode sixty-four never goes out of style, it never goes out of style! On the sixty-fourth Box Angeles rapper ‘Open’ Mike Eagle (Dark Comedy, Unapologetic Art Rap) stops by Studio 309. He discusses doing break dancing and graffiti as a youth, almost getting kicked out of Southern Illinois (where he was Hannibal Buress’ RA and homecoming king), the stigma of rap, and more!
The BA #064 Breakdown —
– Box rants the use of taxis and cabs on television.
– Drinking and breathing and rituals.
– Growing up in Chicago w/ grandparents and being a nerdy kid.
– Break dancing, graffiti and getting in / avoiding trouble.
– Attending Southern Illinois for psychology and almost getting kicked out.
– Being groomed for African psych and avoiding the GRE.
– Dropping grad school and moving to Los Angeles.
– Working for AmeriCorps, a halfway house and falling in love.
– Rap as a hobby, hanging at Project Blowed and starting the group Thirsty Fish.
– Getting a record deal around the time of getting laid off from a special ed gig.
– The stigma of rap, favorite venues, end game and being Hannibal Buress’ RA.
The BAQ —
– Mike describes what he does in three words and gives his logline.
– Mike answers why Hollywood and his favorite thing about LA.
– Mike discusses who he enjoys to watch and who he’d like to work with.
– Mike’s favorite thing he has done and how he defines success.
– Choose your own adventure sign-off.
Guest Beer — Sierra Nevada, Beer Camp Hoppy Lager
An aspiring actor, Mike ‘Box’ Elder hates the use of taxis in tv / film. Follow him on Twitter @mikeboxelder.