It’s Cook County Social Club week! On the seventy-third Box Angeles improviser / actor Mark Raterman stops by Studio 309. He discusses growing up outside Washington DC, doing bits in high school, traveling / working in Europe after college graduation, and more!
The BA #073 Breakdown —
– Box rants sports fans.
– Drinking and sobriety and rituals and meditation.
– Growing up in Reston VA with divorced parents and traveling into DC for concerts as a kid.
– Playing sports specifically hockey and doing bits in school.
– Attending Virginia Tech, for sports broadcasting, and getting into campus sketch w/ Ground Zero.
– A television internship in New Orleans and performing stand up at Movie Pictures.
– Traveling Europe after saving some money from radio work, before coming back through Hawaii.
– Brief stint in LA, returning to DC and taking classes at Washington Improv, before Chicago.
– Taking classes at iO and working at a law firm w/ TJ Miller, Brendan Jennings, et cetera.
– The origins of Cook County Social Club and touring with Second City.
– Moving to Los Angeles after selling some pilots and crashing on couches.
The BAQ —
– Mark describes what he does in three words and gives his logline.
– Mark answers why show business, why Hollywood and his favorite thing about LA.
– Mark discusses who he enjoys to watch and who he’d like to work with.
– Mark’s favorite thing he has done and how he defines success.
– Choose your own adventure sign-off.
Guest Beer — Stone, Enjoy By 4/20/15 IPA
An aspiring actor, Mike ‘Box’ Elder hates sports fans. Follow him on Twitter @boxangeles.