Beating its drum like dum di-di-day, episode eighty-four likes the dirty rhythm you play! On the eighty-fourth Box Angeles actor / improviser Brandon Sornberger (You’re The Worst, Parks and Recreation) stops by Studio 309. He discusses being a directionless youth, his philosophy on philosophies, discovering improv in a college play, his day in NYC on 9/11, his various alcohol related odd jobs, and more!
The BA #084 Breakdown
– Box rants webcams on television, like this example.
– Drinking (w/ a level 1 cicerone) and rituals.
– Growing up in suburbia Guilderland, NY and being shy, directionless child.
– Playing volleyball and getting into acting – for the attention – in high school.
– Attending Hamilton College for the scholarship money and having a tough first year.
– Starting in biology to help others before switching to philosophy and favorite philosopher.
– Finding improv in a play in college, beginning the group Yoda Pez and traveling Europe.
– Moving to NYC w/ a French gal, Grownups Playground and working for Pfizer pharmaceutical.
– 9/11, being done with acting and moving to Boston to get a grad degree.
– Finding Improv Asylym, booking an Atari commercial and moving to Chicago with the future wife.
– Taking Annoyance, iO classes and being hand picked by Charna Halpern to perform.
– Beer-centric odd jobs and landing an agent in Chicago with help from Jack McBrayer.
– Moving to Los Angeles and immediately landing ‘The Soup presents Pop Quiz’ pilot.
– Start at iO West, UCB and finding theatrical successes through casting workshops.
– Brandon describes what he does in three words.
– Brandon answers why show business, why Hollywood and his favorite thing about LA.
– Brandon discusses who he enjoys to watch and who he’d like to work with.
– Brandon’s favorite thing he has done and how he defines success.
– Choose your own adventure sign-off.
Guest Beer – AleSmith, Speedway Stout
An aspiring actor, Mike ‘Box’ Elder hates how television shows handle webcam conversations. Follow him on Twitter @boxangeles.