Oh, episode eighty-five thinks that it found itself a cheerleader! On the eighty-fifth Box Angeles actor / improviser Thomas Middleditch (Silicon Valley, The Wolf of Wall Street) stops by Studio 309. He discusses being bullied in grade school before “figuring it out”, why Chicago is a great training ground for actors, odd jobs like selling shows & walking dogs, how numerous random events have led to his success, and more!
The BA #085 Breakdown
– Box rants people in the elevator bay.
– The Tommy Middlesnatch buzz and drinking and rituals.
– Growing up in Nelson, BC, Canada and “figuring it out” in high school being voted valedictorian.
– Indoorsy, flashes of weirdness and getting put into a play in 8th grade which changed everything.
– Theatresports, playing soccer and traveling to Australia after graduation.
– Briefly attending the University of Victoria before moving to Toronto for George Brown College.
– Focusing on sketch comedy, selling sneakers at New Balance and relocating to Chicago.
– Immigration, cash jobs like dog walking and taking classes at both Second City & iO.
– Getting a work visa with help from Charna Halpern and not enjoying the ways of old school improv.
– Doing Second City Cruise, considering quitting comedy and getting an SNL audition.
– Random events; new manager, network holding deal and McNuggets sketch into a commercial.
– Starting over in New York City, starting to do commercials and delaying the move to Los Angeles.
– How an audio bit, turned into a pilot, landed the role in Silicon Valley and trying to get in at UCB LA.
– Successes, not enjoying The Office spin-off, and avoiding saying no.
– Thomas describes what he does in three words.
– Thomas answers why show business, why Hollywood and his favorite part of LA.
– Thomas discusses who he enjoys to watch and who he’d like to work with.
– Thomas’s favorite thing he has done and how he defines success.
– Choose your own adventure sign-off.
STUDIO BEER – Golden Road, Heal the Bay IPA
An aspiring actor, Mike ‘Box’ Elder is annoyed by people waiting for the elevator in the lobby. Follow him on Twitter @boxangeles.