Episode eighty-eight can’t feel its face when it’s with you! On the eighty-eighth Box Angeles actor / podcaster Lauren Lapkus (Jurassic World, Orange Is The New Black) stops by Studio 309. She discusses filming sketches with her brother as a kid, starting iO classes in high school, her failures as well as successes, her need to spend wisely, unexpectedly landing in the world of podcasting, and more!
The BA #088 Breakdown
– Box rants license plate frames from dealers.
– Drinking and rituals.
– Growing up in Evanston, IL and being a funny, but nervous / shy kid.
– Filming sketches with her brother and his friends and being in the variety show YAMO.
– Taking iO classes as a high school senior and attending DePaul University.
– Getting on teams at iO / the Playground and moving to NYC after graduating.
– Getting involved w/ UCB, doing story pirates and “freelancing” w/ commercial agents.
– Moving to LA, immediately getting involved at iO West / UCB and getting an agent & manager.
– Landing a ‘Jimmy Kimmel Live!’ sketch, booking some commercials and ‘Are You There, Chelsea?’.
– Failures v successes, improv v acting and entering the union.
– Self taping ‘Orange Is The New Black’ audition and odd jobs like babysitting.
– Penny pinching, ‘Jurassic World’ and being comfortable in this career.
– Unexpected world of podcasting, making content, Asssscat cast member and the elusive Zach Woods.
– Lauren describes what she does in three words.
– Lauren answers why show business, why Hollywood and her favorite part of LA.
– Lauren discusses who she enjoys to watch and who she’d like to work with.
– Lauren’s favorite thing she has done and how she defines success.
– Choose your own adventure sign-off.
STUDIO BEER – Golden Road, Citra Bend
An aspiring actor, Mike ‘Box’ Elder hates that car dealerships put their frames on license plates and that people are ignorant to that. Follow him on Twitter @boxangeles.