Episode ninety-two is live from the Los Angeles Improv Comedy Festival at iO West! On the ninety-second Box Angeles actor / improviser Matt Jones (Mom, Breaking Bad) stops by the podcast. He discusses girls, being the black sheep of a huge family, discovering theater in high school, his time in Amsterdam with Boom Chicago, the origin of his signature voice, his need to write and not just do improv, and more!
The BA #092 Breakdown
– Box rants lines that hold doors open.
– Drinking and rituals.
– Growing up in Los Angeles and having a rocky relationship with biological father.
– Being good at sports, but bad at human interaction and being the black sheep of eleven kids.
– Getting into ComedySportz at Claremont High School and being a huge football player.
– Discovering the theater department stocked with girls and getting accepted into NYU / Loyola.
– Briefly attending Citrus College and getting into Ultimate Improv in Westwood.
– Random Craigslist jobs, landing a commercial agent and booking 20 spots in two years.
– Auditioning for Boom Chicago, getting cast while traveling Europe and a crazy Amsterdam sex story.
– The raspy voice origin, moving back to LA and getting a fresh faced manager.
– First theatrical audition being Breaking Bad and getting into cartoon voice over.
– Doing pilots, writing pilots, selling pilots and getting re-involved with iO West.
– When to say ‘yes’ or ‘no’ to roles and being offered roles from friends.
– Feeling as comfortable as one can after landing Mom and realizing improv is just a hobby.
– Matt describes what he does in three words.
– Matt answers why show business, why Hollywood and his favorite part of LA.
– Matt discusses who he enjoys to watch and who he’d like to work with.
– Matt’s favorite thing he has done and how he defines success.
– Choose your own adventure sign-off.
LIVE BEER – Golden Road, Citra Bend
An aspiring actor, Mike ‘Box’ Elder hates holding doors open for lines. Follow him on Twitter @boxangeles.