Say you’ll see episode ninety-seven again even if it’s just in your wildest dreams, wildest dreams! On the ninety-seventh Box Angeles improviser James Mastraieni (UCB, iO West) stops by Studio 309. He discusses going from a overly sensitive kid to a trouble making teen, moving to Los Angeles with his parents, diving head first into improv, touring with the Second City ships, and more!
The BA #097 Breakdown
– Box rants grocery conveyor belts.
– Drinking and rituals.
– Growing up in both North Carolina & Pittsburgh and being an overly sensitive kid.
– Discovering the theatre as well as tap dancing and getting into criminal trouble.
– Landing on probation, starting to do stand up and attending Kent State for a year.
– Taking a Second City sponsored workshop in Toronto and finding improv comedy.
– Working at The Improv in Pittsburgh and moving to Los Angeles with the parents.
– Transferring work and then touring on the ships for Second City.
– Waitering as a survival job, getting onto a UCB Harold team and landing a manager.
– James describes what he does in three words.
– James answers why show business, why Hollywood and his favorite part of LA.
– James discusses who he enjoys to watch and who he’d like to work with.
– James’s favorite thing he has done and how he defines success.
– Choose your own adventure sign-off.
STUDIO BEER – Golden Road, Point the Way IPA
An aspiring actor, Mike ‘Box’ Elder dislikes grocery conveyor belts. Follow him on Twitter @boxangeles.