Ay, episode one hundred is gonna save dat money, what it do? It gonna save dat money! On the one-hundredth Box Angeles writer / podcaster Scott Aukerman (Mr. Show, Between Two Ferns) stops by Studio 309. He discusses Kid Cudi joining Comedy Bang! Bang!, growing up in Orange County, being an artsy kid, traveling the regional theatre circuit as an actor in northern California, the origins of his alt-comedy show Comedy Death Ray, being a student of comedy, and more!
The BA #100 Breakdown
– Box rants buying groceries based on price per ounce.
– Drinking and rituals and weight and Cudi.
– Growing up in Orange County and being a shy, fan of drawing child.
– Becoming an introvert after switching schools and doing fake radio programs / calling into stations.
– Getting into speech / theater / choir in high school and attending a school for the arts senior year.
– Attending community colleges to play shop and discovering improv / alt comedy.
– Traveling around the regional theater circuit as an actor, before moving permanently to Los Angeles.
– Writing a pilot, meeting Bob Odenkirk and performing w/ BJ Porter as the ‘Fun Bunch’.
– Patiently becoming a writer for Mr. Show and starting Comedy Death Ray to break down walls.
– Having a platform for new talent, Fox asking for a talk show pilot and being a student of comedy.
– Entering into podcasts via radio, starting Earwolf and being the consummate straight man.
– Scott describes what he does in three words.
– Scott answers why show business, why Hollywood and his favorite part of LA.
– Scott discusses who he enjoys to watch and who he’d like to work with.
– Scott’s favorite thing he has done and how he defines success.
– Choose your own adventure sign-off.
STUDIO BEER – Golden Road, Point the Way IPA
An aspiring actor, Mike ‘Box’ Elder buys groceries based on price per ounce. Follow him @boxangeles.