Episode one hundred and one is the new Americana, high on legal marijuana, raised on Biggie and Nirvana! On the one-hundred and first Box Angeles actor / improviser James Grace (Curb Your Enthusiasm, Reno 911!) stops by Studio 309. He discusses becoming a teetotal after a NYE resolution, being his high school’s first male cheerleader, learning improv from Del Close, traveling the world, including a stint living in Kauai, and more!
The BA #101 Breakdown
– Box rants seven game series.
– Drinking and sobriety and rituals.
– Growing up in Lake Bluff, IL and being a “monkey”-like kid.
– Getting into acting through getting out of math class and school’s first male cheerleader.
– Attending Goodman School at DePaul and discovering iO classes.
– Shooting an improv pilot in LA and dropping out of college.
– Learning from Del Close, landing an agent, auditioning and ‘shit jobs’.
– Moving to NYC to perform in the Real Live Brady Bunch and starting over in Los Angeles.
– Packing up and moving to Kauai with the girlfriend and having a gutter cleaning accident.
– Back in Chicago for surgeries, starting to teach improv and moving back to LA w/ David Koechner
– Booking the first theatrical audition, geting new representation and starting iO West.
– James describes what he does in three words.
– James answers why show business, why Hollywood and his favorite part of LA.
– James discusses who he enjoys to watch and who he’d like to work with.
– James’s favorite thing he has done and how he defines success.
– Choose your own adventure sign-off.
STUDIO BEER – Golden Road, 329 Lager
An aspiring actor, Mike ‘Box’ Elder hates seven game series. Follow him @boxangeles.