Hello from the other side, episode one-hundred and four must’ve called a thousand times! On the one-hundred and fourth Box Angeles writer / improviser Anthony King (Broad City, Wet Hot American Summer: First Day of Camp) stops by Studio 309. He discusses growing up in a religious family, how improv saved his life twice, writing an off-Broadway play, and more!
The BA #104 Breakdown
– Box rants Snapchat stories.
– Drinking and rituals.
– Growing up in North Carolina and growing up as a super religious nerd.
– Getting heavily involved in the theatre and attending the University of North Carolina.
– Starting in Pre-Med before switching to English and getting into short-form improv.
– Directing a chorus line, writing a college play and moving to NYC.
– Working a theatre internship during the day and working for Merrill Lynch at night.
– Writing / performing a play at UCB, then London and then Off-Broadway.
– Taking UCB classes via others generosity and becoming Artistic Director.
– Moving to LA to write for Best Friends Forever and spec scripts.
– Landing Playing House & Broad City through connections and the 9/11 story.
– Anthony describes what he does in three words.
– Anthony answers why show business, why Hollywood and his favorite part of LA.
– Anthony discusses who he enjoys to watch and who he’d like to work with.
– Anthony’s favorite thing he has done and how he defines success.
– Choose your own adventure sign-off.
STUDIO BEER – Golden Road, 329 Lager
An aspiring actor, Mike ‘Box’ Elder hates individual & storied Snapchats. Follow him @boxangeles.