On the one-hundred and seventeenth Box Angeles writer Chris Kula (@midnight, MadTV) stops by Studio 309. He discusses writing for Michigan’s school newspaper, moving to NYC just before 9/11, odd jobs like editing for a book publisher, and more!
The BA #117 Breakdown
– Box rants avoiding cutting pepperonis on pizza.
– Drinking and rituals.
– Growing up in Grand Rapids, Michigan and being a voracious reader.
– Playing sports and being into doing / watching sketches.
– Attending the U of Michigan and writing for the school newspaper, Michigan Daily.
– Selling football tickets and going to see Second City Detroit / UCB.
– Moving to NYC right before 9/11 and getting a job with a book publisher.
– Going all in with improv and flying to LA for MadTV.
– Getting gigs through recommendations and running into the writer’s strike.
– Chris describes what he does in three words.
– Chris answers why show business, why Hollywood and his favorite part of LA.
– Chris discusses who he enjoys to watch and who he’d like to work with.
– Chris’s favorite thing he has done (& least) and how he defines success.
– Choose your own adventure sign-off.
STUDIO BEER – Golden Road, 329 Lager
An aspiring actor, Mike ‘Box’ Elder thinks small letters on sports jerseys are dumb. Follow him @boxangeles.