On the one-hundred and twenty-seventh Box Angeles showrunner Ben Wexler (Arrested Development, Community) stops by Studio 309. He discusses growing up in Chicago, writing a column for the UCLA newspaper, being a casting assistant on ‘Forrest Gump’, and more!
The BA #127 Breakdown
– Box rants plain signs like ‘dentist’.
– Drinking and rituals.
– Growing up in Chicago and being a performer.
– Evanston High School and doing sketch at YAMO / stand-up.
– Attending UCLA and being active in campus politics.
– Writing a column for the school newspaper and graduating with a communications degree.
– Starting a humor magazine and meeting an agent who got him writing specs.
– Landing a casting assistant gig on ‘Forrest Gump’ and getting a manager.
– Getting meetings and being a Disney assistant.
– Selling the first script and more shows from there.
– ‘The Comedians’ and life of a showrunner.
– Ben describes what he does in three words.
– Ben answers why show business, why Hollywood and his favorite part of LA.
– Ben discusses who he enjoys to watch and who he’d like to work with.
– Ben’s favorite thing he has done (& least) and how he defines success.
– Choose your own adventure sign-off.
Guest Beer – Pizza Port, Pick Six Pilsner
An aspiring actor, Mike ‘Box’ Elder doesn’t like basic signage. Follow him @boxangeles.