On the one-hundred and fortieth Box Angeles director Payman Benz (Last Man on Earth, Key and Peele) stops by Studio 309. He discusses growing up a silly kid in Silicon Valley, working briefly for Google, how a short film got things going, helping big name comedians with videos, and more!
The BA #140 Breakdown
– Box rants turning left in the middle of the road.
– Drinking and rituals.
– Growing up in Silicon Valley after emigrating from Iran and being a silly kid.
– Playing baseball briefly and getting into stand up.
– Attending Foothill College for his AA and watching ‘The Big Lebowski’.
– Going to San Jose State for directing and working for Google.
– Getting a short Needle Anus into a film fest and moving to Los Angeles.
– Working at the Improv and making videos comedians like for Nick Swardson.
– A chance meeting with Adam Sandler, getting meetings and The Midnight Show.
– Making YouTube content, getting gigs through friends and Crackle.
– Payman describes what he does in three words.
– Payman answers why show business, why Hollywood and his favorite part of LA.
– Payman discusses what content he consumes and who he’d like to work with.
– Payman’s favorite thing he has done (& least) and how he defines success.
– Choose your own adventure sign-off.
STUDIO BEER – Reel Brewery, Hollywood Pilsner
An aspiring actor, Mike ‘Box’ Elder hates people who left turn into the middle of the road. Follow him @boxangeles.