On the one-hundred and fifty-ninth Box Angeles writer David Stassen (Central Intelligence, The Mindy Project) stops by Studio 309. He discusses growing up in Chicago, writing, odd jobs like working for ESPN, writing, and more!
The BA #159 Breakdown
– Box rants players throwing the footballs to refs.
– Drinking and rituals.
– Growing up in Chicago and turning projects into creative writing in grade school.
– Attending Northwestern and moving to Colorado to write a screenplay.
– Bartending, working at Vail and moving back to Chicago, briefly.
– Coming to Los Angeles with Ike Barinholtz and attending USC for a writing MFA.
– Getting representation, selling a TV pilot, and then Central Intelligence.
– Working at PTI / Around the Horn in DC and later for Rome is Burning in OC.
– Landing The Mindy Project and dabbling in directing.
– David describes what he does in three words.
– David answers why show business, why Hollywood and his favorite part of LA.
– David discusses what content he consumes and who he’d like to work with.
– David’s favorite thing he has done (& least) and how he defines success.
– Choose your own adventure sign-off.
STUDIO BEER – Reel Brewery, Narcissus IPA
An aspiring actor, Mike ‘Box’ Elder finds football players tossing balls to refs hilarious. Follow him @boxangeles.