On the one-hundred and sixty-fourth Box Angeles improviser Alex Berg (The Goldbergs, 2 Broke Girls) stops by Studio 309. He discusses hating growing up in idyllic Connecticut, getting into improv early, wanted to be a professor, and more!
The BA #164 Breakdown
– Box rants UCB grades.
– Drinking and rituals.
– Growing up in Connecticut and being a nerdy pothead that read a lot.
– Doing improv at a summer camp and attending Vassar College.
– More improv, dropping out, but finishing up a psych major.
– Moving to Los Angeles and jumping right in at iO West.
– UCB Cagematch run w/ Convoy and getting support from Thomas Lennon / Ben Garant.
– Getting reps and selling stuff (to the likes of Comedy Central).
– Landing some TV work and teaching / brief stint as UCB Artistic Director.
– Alex describes what he does in three words.
– Alex answers why show business, why Hollywood and his favorite part of LA.
– Alex discusses what content he consumes and who he’d like to work with.
– Alex’s favorite thing he has done (& least) and how he defines success.
– Choose your own adventure sign-off.
STUDIO BEER – Reel Brewery, Narcissus IPA
An aspiring actor, Mike ‘Box’ Elder likes being graded. Follow him @boxangeles.