On the one-hundred and sixty-eighth Box Angeles writer John Hamburg (Zoolander, I Love You, Man) stops by Studio 309. He discusses growing up in Manhattan, making short films in high school, briefly attending Tisch School, and more!
The BA #168 Breakdown
– Box rants the videos on the internet about removing ink tags.
– Drinking and Italian reds and rituals.
– Growing up in Manhattan with a mom in radio and being a funny kid.
– Startng the Dalton Lampoon in grade school and getting a huge video camera for a birthday.
– Making short films and attending Brown University, majoring history.
– Finding like minded people at school and rooming with Michael Showalter.
– Getting into Tisch School and writing the short film Tick that got into Sundance.
– Landing an agent, getting meetings for his script Safe Men and clicking with Ben Stiller.
– Collaborating on Zoolander et cetera and moving to Los Angeles.
– I Love You, Man as a love letter to LA, the team and reviews.
– John describes what he does in three words.
– John answers why show business, why Hollywood and his favorite part of LA.
– John discusses what content he consumes and who he’d like to work with.
– John’s favorite thing he has done (& least) and how he defines success.
– Choose your own adventure sign-off.
STUDIO BEER – Reel Brewery, Narcissus IPA
An aspiring actor, Mike ‘Box’ Elder scrapes the ice cream bowl. Follow him @boxangeles.