On the one-hundred and eighty-ninth Box Angeles writer Eric Heisserer (Lights Out, Hours) stops by Studio 309. He discusses his writing tricks, working at NASA, how he holds his reps accountable, and more!
The BA #189 Breakdown
– Box rants horse cops.
– Drinking and rituals and hacks.
– Growing up in Norman, Oklahoma and consuming a lot of content.
– Playing with Legos and geeking out on computers.
– Moving to Houston after high school and working at NASA.
– Spending free time writing game ideas and buying Final Draft.
– Writing 12 screenplays and getting hip pocketed by a manager via a forum.
– Taking some meetings in LA and getting laid off.
– Sneakily making his original screenplay adapted and working as a video game beta tester.
– Getting in the Writer’s Guild, relationship with agent / managers and the origins of Arrival.
– Eric describes what he does in three words.
– Eric answers why show business, why Hollywood and his favorite part of LA.
– Eric discusses what content he consumes and who he’d like to work with.
– Eric’s favorite thing he has done (& least) and how he defines success.
– Choose your own adventure sign-off.
STUDIO BEER – Reel Brewery, Narcissus Kumquat IPA
An aspiring actor, Mike ‘Box’ Elder isn’t a fan of LA horse cops. Follow him @boxangeles.